Elkton Cooler Review
- Ice Retention
Elkton Coolers are highly preferable for fishermen and hunters. With these cooler, you can expect to have up to 7 days of ice retention. Additionally, these cooler come with various features to help you make a successful outdoor trip with your favorite foods and drinks.
Elkton Outdoors manufactures various fishing and hunting gears for avid outdoorsmen. Recently they joined the cooler industry with their high performing roto-molded cooler series. Currently, they have 5 different sizes of coolers ranging from 20 Quart to 110 Quart on their store. Through this Elkton cooler review, we will try to show you the features, benefits, and problems of Elkton coolers so that you can take your decision easily.
Elkton Cooler Review – Overview
Elkton Outdoors is a USA based company headquartered in Northern California. They started their journey with the idea of providing top performing products at the best possible value. They manufacture various fishing, shooting and tactical gear for avid outdoorsmen. Recently they entered the cooler industry with their roto-molded cooler series. Since ElktonOutdoors manufactures fishing and hunting gears, the coolers they manufactured are specially designed for these two particular purposes. However, you can use these coolers on any outdoor trips.
Cooler Line Up
Elkton Outdoors offers a complete range of coolers for an individual to large family use. Currently, they have 20-quart, 45 quart, 70 quart, 75 quart, and 110-quart coolers in their store.
Before going to the detailed Elkton cooler review, let’s take a look at each of these coolers:
01. Elkton 20 Quart Rotomolded Cooler
This is the smallest portable cooler available in Elkton Outdoors’s store. The outside dimension of this cooler is 21 x 13 x 14.5 inches and the inside dimension is – 14 x 8 x 10 inches. Empty weight is 14.5 Lbs. Though the total capacity of this cooler is 24 cans, it can hold 16 cans at 2:1 beer to ice ratio. With proper packing and maintenance, you can expect to have 4-5 days of ice retention from this cooler.
02. Elkton 45 Quart Rotomolded Cooler
The 45-quart rotomolded cooler is a perfect medium-sized cooler for fishing and hunting trips. It comes with 21 x 13 x 14.5 inches of outside dimension and 14 x 8 x 10 inches inside dimension. Empty weight is 25.8lbs. This is a very portable and easy-to-carry cooler for your regular outing. You can be able to get 4-5 days of ice retention from this cooler.
03. Elkton 70 Quart Wheeled Cooler
If you ever need a large but portable cooler for your regular fishing or hunting trip, this cooler is one of the best options for you. It comes with a true 70 Quart capacity. The outside dimension of this cooler is 33 x 17 x 17.5 inches and the inside dimension is 27 x 12.25 x 13 inches. Since the cooler is equipped with two wheels you can easily carry it even when it is fully loaded.
04. Elkton 75 Quart Rotomolded Cooler
This is another large outdoor cooler by Elkton Outdoors. The outside dimensions of this cooler are 33.5×18.5×18 inches and the inside dimensions are 27 x 12 x 13 inches. Since it is a large size cooler, carrying and maintenance might be difficult by a single person. However, this is large enough to pack a lot of foods and drinks for a large family.
05. Elkton 110 Quart Rotomolded Cooler
This is the largest cooler in Elkton’s store. It comes with a very large exterior dimension of 33 x 17 x 17.5 inches and interior dimensions of 27 x 12.25 x 13 inches. Since this is a very large size cooler and there is no wheel, you need 2-3 people to carry it. However, this cooler can be a good option for a large family camping trip.
06. Elkton Outdoors Insulated Fish Cooler Bag
This cooler bag is specially made for fishermen to keep fish fresh all day. It comes with a leak-proof design that keeps ice cold for a longer time. There are two different sizes available to choose from – 40 inches and 60 inches. To give you ultimate comfort on carrying, each of the bags includes 4 carry handles and a removable shoulder strap.
Ice retention capacity is the first thing you need to consider when buying a cooler. During the Elkton cooler review, we especially focused on the insulation capacity of these coolers. Elkton coolers are specially made for fishing and hunting purposes. Those types of outdoor trips require several days for many people. So, you should take a cooler that can hold ice for several days so that you can enjoy the whole trip with your favorite foods and drinks.
Elkton coolers are made of heavy-duty rotomolded technology with 3 inches commercial grade insulation. This thick insulation ensures longer ice retention. Additionally, the freezer style gasket and ColdSeal latches ensure no airflow inside the cooler so that you will get the maximum insulation from these cooler. The company advertises that its cooler can hold ice for 7-10. During our review, we found that most of the people using these coolers have got 3-5 days of insulation during their trips. However, you can always maximize the ice retention time by packing and using the cooler in the right way. Feel free to check out some useful cooler hacks on our guides section.
The durability of a cooler mostly depends on the materials that are used in making the cooler. Elkton coolers are made of Rotomolded thermoplastic construction. This type of construction made these cooler extremely tough and virtually indestructible. The exterior of these coolers is UV protected.
Elkton coolers are portable and easy to carry. All the coolers except the 20-quart come with military-grade nylon rope handles. The rope handle makes the cooler very convenient to carry even if it’s fully loaded. The 20-quart cooler comes with a metal handle that folds down. People barely have any issues with these handles and carrying systems.
On part of this Elkton cooler review, we tried to find out the additional features of these coolers. Here’s what we get during our research:
- Non-slip Rubber Feet: There are non-slip rubber feet which makes this cooler ideal for any outdoor trip.
- No-Sweat Exterior: Elkton coolers come with no-sweat exterior design.
- Dry Ice Compatible: Elkton coolers are dry ice compatible. Dry ice is best for cooler.
- 3 Different Colors: All Elkton coolers come with three different colors – Green, Camo, and Orange.
- Dual Cap Drain Plug: The cooler contains an extra-large draining plug which is very useful for easy and quick cleaning.
- Built-in Fish Ruler: Since Elkton coolers are specially designed for fishing and hunting purposes, there is a built-in fish ruler located on the top of the cooler. This is really a useful feature for the fishermen.
- Built-in Bottle Opener: A built-in bottle opener is included on each of the cooler.
- Pressure Release Valve: There is a pressure release valve included on the upper side of each cooler.
- Quick Release Latches: Quick release latches are included for easy access to the cooler.
In addition to these, Elkton cooler comes with some other features.
Unfortunately, the manufacturer provides only a 1-year limited warranty. This is very limited because most of the well-known brand offers 3-10 years warranty. However, the company is providing a 30-day return policy on any unused resalable coolers which is a good thing about them.
Problems with Elkton Coolers
Along with all the features and benefits, Elkton coolers have the following downsides that you need to consider when buying:
- Ice retention is not so impressive: Elkton coolers can hold ice for 3-5 days which is not so impressive. If you are looking for extreme insulation, these coolers are not a good option for you.
- Limited warranty: The company is offering only a 1-year warranty which is not good enough since you are going to invest a lot of money for a cooler.
- Made in China: Unluckily, Elkton coolers are made in China. It might be a major downside for the people who love American made cooler.
The Bottom Line
Elkton coolers are specially designed for avid fishermen and hunters who need a heavy-duty cooler for their regular trip. These cooler comes with a lot of essential features that every fisherman and hunter needs to make their trip successful. Overall, these coolers are a good choice for people who look for a budget-friendly cooler. For more information about these coolers feel free to check out Elkton cooler reviews on Amazon.