When it comes to choosing a cooler for families or small gatherings, medium-sized coolers are the best options available on the market. If you are familiar with portable coolers, you probably know that there are various sizes of coolers ranging from 10 quarts to 400 quarts. based on the availability of sizes, I categorize coolers into three types – small, medium, and large.
This article includes a collection of the best medium-sized coolers that you can consider buying for your upcoming family trip.
I define medium coolers as any cooler with storage capacity ranging between 40 to 70 quarts. These cooler comes with a perfect balance between the storage capacity and portability. These are the perfect size cooler for any family trip or mid-sized gathering.
These are the Top 10 Best Medium Sized Coolers:
Last update on 2021-01-17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Related Reviews: Top 10 Best Small Coolers
To make your choice easier, I’ve included the features, benefits, and problems of each of these medium-sized coolers:
01. YETI Tundra 65 Cooler
YETI is the most popular name in the cooler industry. They are best known as a manufacturer of high performing premium roto-molded coolers. The Tundra 65 is a perfect medium cooler for a small family trip.
- It can hold up to 42 cans of beer or 52 pounds of ice.
- All Tundra cooler includes a dry goods basket which helps you preserve dry items into the cooler.
- The best thing about YETI coolers is they are extremely durable and have great ice retention capacity. Based on several ice-retention tests, I found that this cooler can hold ice for up to 7 days which is great.
- The Tundra 65 comes with durable roto-molded construction. The extra-thick FatWall design contains two inches of insulation to ensure the maximum ice retention time.
- YETI uses commercial-grade polyurethane foam in the walls and the lid so that the ice stays longer inside the cooler.
- A durable freezer-quality gasket along with t-style latches ensures a perfect seal and prevents any unwanted airflow inside the cooler.
- To ensure easy and comfortable carrying, this cooler includes two different handles – LipGrip handles and polyester rope handles.
Overall, the Tundra 65 is a perfect medium-sized cooler for any purpose. Durable construction and longer ice retention capacity make it one of the best medium sized coolers in the market.
02. RTIC 45 Quart Rotomolded Cooler
If you plan to invest your hard-earned money in a heavy-duty roto-molded cooler, make sure you check out this 45 Quart cooler from RTIC. This is a perfect multi-purpose cooler for avid campers and outdoorsmen.
- It comes with a true 45-quart capacity and can hold up to 30 cans or 40 pounds of ice.
- The best thing about this cooler is its ice retention capacity. It can hold ice for up to 7 days, thanks to the 3 inches insulated walls and freezer grade gasket.
- Another handy feature is that it can be carried by one person due to the compact design and molded side handles.
- The single-piece, roto-molded plastic construction makes this cooler sturdy and durable.
- To ensure easy opening and closing, it includes heavy-duty T-style latches. The latches ensure a tight seal and prevent any airflow inside the cooler.
- There is an integrated locking system that makes the cooler resistant to the grizzly bear.
- The cooler can be easily carried by one person or two.
- It includes and marine-grade rope handle with textured grips for comfortable carrying.
- Comes with a 1-year limited warranty.
- Currently available in three colors – blue, white, and tan.
Overall, this 45-quart cooler from RTIC is made for serious campers and outdoorsmen. If you really need a heavy-duty cooler for your regular outdoor trip, I recommend checking out this cooler.
03. YETI Tundra Haul Portable Wheeled Cooler
If you are looking for the best medium-sized cooler with wheels, the Tundra Haul is the perfect option for you. This is one of the best selling wheeled coolers on the market. With impressive ice retention capacity and a convenient carrying option, this cooler will be a great option for any family trip.
- Like the other models, the Tundra Haul is also made of high-end materials with rotomolded construction.
- The cooler can hold ice for 4-7 days.
- The wheels are made of a solid single-piece tire which is impact resistant and puncture resistant.
- It has a strong arm handle with a curved design that moves to the left or right for easy follow-up traction.
- Currently available in four different colors – white, coral, navy, and tan.
- YETI provides a 5-year warranty for this wheeled cooler.
04. Pelican 70 Quart Elite Cooler
The list of best medium-sized coolers will remain incomplete without mentioning this 70 Quart Elite cooler from Pelican. I love this cooler for many reasons. First, this is a premium cooler. For people who want to have an extremely durable cooler for their regular outdoor trip, this cooler is the best option for them.
- The cooler comes with a 72.42-quart capacity where you can keep up to 53 cans of your favorite beverage or 65 pounds of ice.
- The best thing about this cooler is its build quality. It is made of extremely heavy-duty Polypropylene material. This is the strongest cooler on my list. The construction is so impressive that after buying this cooler, you will never need to buy any other cooler in your life.
- Due to the high-quality material, roto-molded construction, and 2 inches of thick polyurethane insulation, this cooler can hold ice for more than 5 days.
- I liked the integrated cup holders and fish ruler of this cooler. There is also a bottle opener included on the top of this cooler.
- Like the ORCA coolers, Pelican also offers a lifetime warranty for their cooler. So, buying this cooler is also a lifetime investment.
05. Engel 65 High Performance Cooler
The Engel 65 is actually a 58-quart medium size cooler that can hold up to 70 cans of beer or 85 pounds of ice.
- With durable rotationally molded construction and 2 inches of insulation all around, this cooler offers impressive ice retention for around 5-7 days.
- While most premium brands use rubber gasket on the lid, Engel uses silicon gasket which is more powerful and can create a tight seal.
- The compression style latches are very convenient and help to create an airtight seal without much effort.
- Engel offers 10 years warranty for this cooler. This is really a great feature of this Engel 65 cooler.
06. Orca 58 Quart Hard Sided Classic Cooler
ORCA is another famous American brand. They offer premium quality coolers at a very affordable price. This 58-quart cooler from ORCA is a perfect combination of durability and ice retention capacity.
- The cooler comes with a 58-quart storage capacity. So, you will get a lot of space for keeping your things.
- Like all other premium coolers, this cooler is made using roto-molded construction. It is durable and ready to withstand any tough conditions.
- According to ORCA, this cooler can hold ice for up to 10 days. During the research, I found that it can hold ice for more than 7 days. This is really a great insulation capacity for a cooler.
- Another thing I like about this cooler is its cargo net attachment. This cargo net allows you to keep your essential items during camping.
- The best thing about this cooler is its warranty. Each ORCA cooler comes with a lifetime warranty. So, buying this cooler is going to be a lifetime investment for you.
07. Seavilis Milee 60 Quart Cooler
Next, I have this 60-quart roto-molded cooler from Milee. If you are familiar with the cooler market for a long time, you may have heard the name Milee. Seavilis is a new design by Milee. I picked this 60-quart cooler from Milee because of its amazing features, exclusive accessories, and reasonable pricing.
- The rotomolded thermoplastic construction makes this cooler indestructible and ready to withstand any adventure trip.
- Due to commercial-grade insulation, the cooler can hold ice for a very good amount of time. You can expect to have more than 4 days of ice retention from this cooler.
- The best thing about this cooler is it includes several essential accessories such as a dry food basket, divider, cup holder, etc. These accessories will help you keep your foods and drinks items separate inside the cooler.
- There are two stainless steel bottle openers included in this cooler. These bottle openers can also be used as a lock hole.
- Since the cooler comes with all the necessary accessories, you don’t need to spend more money on buying them.
08. Thermik 75 Quart High Performance Roto-Molded Cooler
The Thermik 75 Quart cooler is another great medium-sized cooler on the market. It features thick urethane insulation and can hold ice for more than 5 days.
- Made of heavy-duty one-piece rotationally molded construction.
- The ice retention capacity of this cooler is good enough to preserve foods and drinks for a whole camping trip.
- It includes two stainless steel locking holes which can also be used as bottle openers.
- The cooler is bearproof when locking with padlocks with a minimum of 1.5-inch shank length.
- Another great feature of this cooler is – it comes with a board separator and dry keeper basket. So, you can separate your foods and drinks inside the cooler.
- Comes with a 5-year warranty.
09. Igloo BMX 52-Quart cooler
If you are on a very tight budget, the Igloo BMX 52-quart cooler is the best option for you. This is one of the cheapest medium-sized coolers in the market.
- It is made of heavy-duty blow molding structure and has an enhanced base to improve strength and protection performance.
- It is very lightweight and easy to carry.
- With heavy-duty construction, 20% thicker foam, and insulated lid, the cooler can provide impressive cooling performance and can hold ice for around 4-5 days under 90°F temperature.
- The cooler has the capacity of holding 83 cans (12-ounce cans).
- UV inhibitors can protect the cooler from sun damage, thereby prolonging its service life.
- It comes with an integrated ruler on the top of the lid.
10. Coleman 54-Quart Steel-Belted Cooler
The Coleman 54-Quart Steel-Belted Cooler is another great cooler for camping, tailgating, and other outdoor trips. This is another cheap but good performing medium cooler on my list.
- The first thing I liked about this cooler is its retro-style design.
- It comes with a 54-quart capacity and can accommodate up to 85 cans.
- The cooler can hold ice for around 4 days when the temperature is less than 90F.
- Built with anti-rust stainless steel hardware, it can provide years of performance. The lid is very sturdy and supports up to 250 pounds. So, you can sit or stand on this cooler.
So, these are all of the best medium sized coolers I found on the market. If you have enough budget to invest in a cooler, I must recommend YETI, RTIC, or Pelican cooler. On the other hand, if you are having a limited budget, Igloo and Coleman coolers can be the best option for you.